Write a paper about reading herodotus the histories by proem
choose one reading from the following reading to read and write a paper.
1. Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves Translated by Richard F. Burton.
2. Chinese Philosophy Selections by Lao Tzu and Tao Te Ching.
3. Herodotus, The Histories by Proem and Abductions.
4. Apology By Plato Translated by Benjamin Jowett.
History Book Analysis Instructions
In history, you are going to write an analysis of a book that is assigned for the course. You may choose any of the assigned readings that you so desire. In addition, I will provide a few other options as well to broaden the representation of different areas of the world. If you are aware of another book, whether primary or secondary, that would cover something of a historical nature prior to 1500 CE, then I am open to you pursuing that possibility as well.
In 3-5 pages, I want you to answer these basic questions:
1. Description- what is the content? If you aren’t certain of the genre, then usually thinking out the nature of the content will help you figure it out.
2. Genre- what kind of work is this? Is it history, poetry, philosophy, a biography, a novel, or what?
3. Concerns- are there any things that the author focuses on heavily that you think illuminate what it is that matters to the author? In other words, what are some of the recurring themes that seem that structure the work? (Strongly consider the context when you are trying to figure this out)
4. Context- does the way that the author frames their story seem to indicate that they are engaging in a discussion with their contemporaries? If so, what seems to be the debate that they are engaged in? You can consult the lectures or outside sources to try to figure out what the conditions were in the author’s day.