How television helped to shape the image of black america
For this portfolio assignment, you are required to research and analyze a TV program that ran between 1955 and 1965.
To successfully complete this essay, you will need to answer the following questions:
• What is the background of this show? Explain what years it was on TV, describe the channel it aired on, the main characters, setting, etc..
• What social issues and historical events were taking place at the time the show was being broadcast?
• Did these issues affect the television show in any way?
• Did the television show make an impact on popular culture?
Your thesis for the essay should attempt to answer this question:
• Explain the cultural relevance of the show, given the information gathered from the show’s background, and cultural history. How can television act as a reflection of the social, political, and cultural current events?
This essay should be 2-3 pages, in APA style, utilizing the college’s library resources. Please include at least one scholarly resource as a minimum in your essay.
In your research of television programs from the 1950’s and 1960’s, you will also be required to write an essay about how African Americans were portrayed in shows that were broadcast during this era.
• Describe how television helped to shape the image of Black America during the 1950’s and 1960’s. Discuss racial stereotyping.
• Research Roots from the 1970’s. How was Roots different from these earlier television shows (Good Times, Sanford & Son, etc.) in terms of the depiction of African American popular culture? Give examples.