Define the term “Pandemic”.
SCI W2 – Quiz
1. Define the term “Pandemic”.
An epidemic that affects more than 1% or the world’s population.
Infection of a number of people in a population.
An epidemic that occurs on multiple continents simultaneously.
A contagious disease that affects many people simultaneously.
2. What are the two components that determine transmission rate?
The inherent efficiency and the route by which the virus enters the susceptible person.
The inherent edfficiency and the biological properties of the virus.
The inherent efficiency and the encounter rate.
The relative number of infected and susceptible persons.
3. What is the difference between an chronic infection and an acute infection?
The frequencies with which death, immunity or continuous infection occur are different for different viruses.
An acute infection can become endemic.
All of these are true.
Acute infections lead to immunity or death, wheras chronic infections lead to continued infection or death.
4. What viral disease has been eradicated worldwide by vaccination?
5. What are the three infectious agents thought to have caused most deaths over the years?
Smallpox, measles and the plague.
Polio, smallpox and the plague.
HIV, smallpox and the plague.
Influenza, tuberculosis and smallpox.
6. Define “zoonoses”.
Any disease in animals that behaves like an epidemic.
The spread of infectious disease from animals to humans
An infectious disease in animals that mimics a human disease.
Any infectious disease in animal populations.
7. Based on the current tools that we have to work with, what is the MOST promising strategy for reducing the impact of AIDS worldwide?
Education about behavior modification.
Develop better pharmaceuticals.
Development of a vaccine.
8. The next series of questions deals with factors that AIDS and syphilis have in common. Answer each question individually. Check TRUE or FALSE for each.
Both AIDS and syphilis are sexually transmitted:
9. Both AIDS and syphilis are caused by viruses.
10. Both AIDS and syphilis have a stigma associated with them.
11. Both AIDS and syphilis can be treated by antibiotics.
12. Both AIDS and syphilis are chronic diseases.
13. Many diseases that have killed off large populations throughout history are endemic in the world today. Why do they do NOT cause massive deaths today?
More knowledge about the transmission of infectious agents leads to better control of the spread of disease.
Most people who catch them develop immunity.
Better medical facilities and treatments are available.
All of these are true.
Vaccines have reduced the susceptible population.
14. The germ theory states that contagious diseases are spread by microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses.