Compare and contrast two natural disasters
1. Describe three factors that help to influence our nation’s focus on natural or man-made disasters.
2. What issues have been raised concerning some of the authorities granted to government agencies in the PATRIOT Act? How have those issues been addressed?
3. Should FEMA fall under DHS, or should it be its own cabinet level organization? Why?
4. Define Mitigation and Preparedness Compare and contrast the ideas of each, and give examples to highlight your statements.
5. Compare and contrast two natural disasters. Provide examples on how they are similar and different regarding early detection, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.
Journal submission requirements:
– Each answer should be two typed, double spaced pages.
– Use the normal standard of 12-font, double-spaced, Times New Roman.
Resources for assessment
– Textbook Readings:Chapters- 1-11
This activity is matched to the following
Learning Outcomes:Demonstrate an understanding of today’s Homeland Security concepts/disciplines (i.e.) “all-hazard response”, Intelligence and information sharing (Patriot Act), Evolution of homeland security ( FEMA and DHS), Emergency Management Disciplines ( mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery) and natural disaster ( earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc.) response in a clear, concise and focused essay.